Home > About > History
History of the Rescue Mission of Utica
It was during an evangelistic meeting at the First Presbyterian Church in Utica, that evangelist Sam Hedley stressed the need for a Rescue Mission to care for the transient and alcoholic men who were congregating on the streets of Utica. The pastor appointed several churchmen to research the urgency and in late 1890 the first Mission building was rented at 24 Liberty Street. The following year C.W. Roberts became the superintendent. Roberts, a drunkard and gambler was a former convert of the Jerry McAuley Water Street Mission.
The Mission provided transients on their way to lumber camps and homeless men with overnight lodging and soup.
In 1928 the Mission purchased its first building on Baggs Square at 33 Genesee Street. This building provided 36 beds and was often filled to overflowing. Alcoholism among men was on the rise and the Rescue Mission saw the need to provide a rehabilitation program.
As a result of the Baggs Square arterial expansion project, in May of 1971 the Mission relocated to 203 Rutger Street, the first of nine buildings on its current campus.
- 1905 the Rescue Mission of Utica was incorporated
- 1970 the Rescue Mission moved to 203 Rutger Street
- 1976 the Mission opened the only sobering-up station in Oneida County
Learn more about the Rescue Mission story by requesting a copy of our history book. Cost of $20 includes shipping and handling. click here to request a copy.